Wednesday, April 27, 2011

"Tell them you are well."

The sun was just waking up at 6:00 o’clock in the morning. I, however, was far from awake. I began making my rounds and as I sluggishly approached the next hospital door it was covered in a large sign saying, “BLIND”-although someone had crossed through that and instead put, “but now can see because of JESUS.” I knocked on her door, walked in and said good morning. She joyfully replied with “Good morning mam!” [Had she known my age, I’m sure she would have called me something along the lines of ‘honey’ or ‘darling’]. I can’t explain it to you but she radiantly exuded Truth.
I finished checking on her and told her I would be back to see how she was doing in a little bit. So I went to my other patients. I couldn’t help but feel strongly propelled to go back to that sweet old lady’s room. After I finished up with the other patients, I secretly made my way back to her room. I can’t tell you why exactly, but I just felt God wanted me to tell her that she is glorifying Him. So I did. I then told her that I if I don’t see her ever again, that I cannot wait to see her in Heaven. I watched as tears began to form in her glassed-over eyes. She asked what my name was and said, “Sit down.”
I found myself sobbing as I held the gentle hand of an 80-something child of God. I sat there and listened to a precious daughter of the King joyfully tell me how she met Jesus.
She told me how she lost her vision. She thought she was having a stroke and the doctors at a different hospital had given her a pain medication that ended up causing her to have a severe allergic reaction.
She said, “I blinked twice and it was gone”.
I didn’t know what to say. All I could do was squeeze her hand in hopes that it would be a sign of the love that had so quickly overwhelmed my heart for this lady.

She told me of stories leading up to her blindness.She said, “A couple of days before this happened…as clear as day I lay in my bed and on one side of me I saw the green trees blowing in the wind. On the other side, I couldn’t make out any shapes but only saw pink and gold and white. I wasn’t dreaming. I was awake. I wasn’t hallucinating. I know it was a vision from God”. I don’t want to say disbelief came over me but rather, I found myself awestruck.
She continued, “You have to love the children."
I then told her where I felt like God was leading me. As I attempted to explain myself, she cried and said, “Isn’t He good? He gives us everything we need. The least we can do is give him everything we have.”
I’ve never found myself for such a loss of words.
Though it had only been twenty minutes, it felt like I had been listening to her for two hours (which I would love to do).
I told her that I have to get back to work. Before I stood up, I squeezed her hand with a prayer that she felt God in this time. She said to me, “Lauren, I ask God for my vision back. I know I will get it back when I see Him in heaven, and I can’t wait. I ask for it back now, not just because I want it back, but because I want to tell people what He’s done for me. There’s too much work to do here.” I was speechless. How beautifully had the Spirit spoken through her?
She asked for some contact information and I felt like I frantically yanked out my paper and pen in utter excitement that I would see or hear from her again.
I told her that I would never forget her and through empty words tried to explain my thankfulness for this divine appointment. God is good.
The last thing she said to me was, “Keep after Him. His plans are great! And when people ask you how you are doing…tell them you are well. Because you are always doing well when you are following the Lord.”
I have no idea what happened to this sweet lady. Selfishly I asked God for her to give me a call. I wonder if she can see, I wonder if she is with Him. But I don’t anxiously wonder these things. Instead, I rejoice in the privilege of our twenty minute conversation. I rejoice because God was the center of it and he was totally glorified in our words. I rejoice because I received the wisdom of a woman of the Lord. I rejoice because I know she is His and I will see her again.

3 comments:

  1. Hi! reading these texts, I must admit I'm a bit jealous of your relationship with the Lord. several times I had the opportunity to experience the power you get when you're filled with the Holy Spirit and I admit-I really miss that feeling. so I will just briefly ask you to pray for me and for my friends who havejust as I did- let this damn world separate me from Jesus ... I admire your dedication to our Savior, and I encourage you to continue in his work for Him!
    p.s. Sorry for my poor English ... :)
    David Dereta

    ReplyDelete
  2. don't worry about your English, it's great! and i will definitely be lifting you up in prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lauren, I'm in tears at the goodness of God to all generations, and I'm especially in tears that "you are well". You ARE well, darling girl! Keep your eyes up and open. You'll be astounded time and again at the intricate, intimate ways He whispers His love for you.
    Mrs. Cates

    ReplyDelete